CALL FOR VEKAM LIBRARY AND ARCHIVE AWARD
With a view to contributing to scientific work in the field, Koç University Vehbi Koç and Ankara Studies and Applied Research Center (VEKAM) has issued a call for scientific research to investigate and analyze the urban development of Ankara, the social and economic history as well as culture and cultural heritage of Ankara and its surroundings, over the collections and materials present at VEKAM Library and Archive. The aim is to reach out to wider audiences through the publication of the research in the Journal of Ankara Studies as a scientific publication or article from VEKAM Publications.
Within the framework of the awards, 2 research projects will be provided financial support up to TRY 5,000.
The applications should be submitted to the Center at the address specified below, by 3 April, 2017 at latest.
Koç Üniversitesi Vehbi Koç Ankara Araştırmaları Uygulama ve Araştırma Merkezi
Pınarbaşı Mahallesi Şehit Hakan Turan Sokak No.9 Keçiören/ Ankara
Phone: 0312 3552027 / Internal : 13
- Graduate researchers can apply for the research awards.
- The research is expected to reveal the potential value of the library and archive collections/materials, to interpret existing collections and materials, and to provide guidance to future research through its methodology and approach.
- Work on documentation, taking inventory, listing, digitization etc. will not be accepted for consideration.
- The applications may be filed either in Turkish or English.
The application file should include the following information and documents, and should meet the requirements pertaining to form:
2. Abstract (100-250 words)
3. Objectives and scope of the research
4. Research Question
6. Within the scope of the proposed research, What kind of resources will be selected from the VEKAM Library and archives and what will be the possible consequences that can be realed through these resources (applicants are advised to do preliminary study in the VEKAM library and archive)
7. Time schedule: Projects may cover at most a calendar year.
8. Budget: A detailed table presenting expenses other than fixed equipment purchases
9. Literature survey
10. Applicant(s) CV(s) with photo
11. At least 2 letters of recommendation providing a general perspective on the research and attesting that the applicant(s) have the experience and skills required to implement the research, should be submitted in an envelope signed and sealed by the reference provider.
12. A digital copy of the application file should be created in the form of a single PDF file bearing the required documents in the order provided above, and submitted in a CD alongside the application file.
- The applications shall be reviewed initially by a Scientific Board including experts in the field, from universities in Turkey and abroad.
- The final review shall be made by the Board of Directors of VEKAM, in line with the recommendations of the Scientific Board.
- The results shall be announced on VEKAM's web site.
- The communications will take place preferably via the e-mail address specified by the project coordinator applicant, or other communication channels if necessary. In cases involving more than one applicant for a given project, the project coordinator shall be required to notify the remaining applicants.
Payments and Terms
The upper limit for each research award is TRY 5,000. Payments shall be made to the project coordinator applicant in a lump sum, pending the submittal of the final publication or article to VEKAM.
Researcher's Obligations and Responsibilities
Researchers who are entitled to the research award shall be required to commence work in line with the project schedule, and conclude the Project on the date specified in the schedule.
The researchers shall be required to prepare a detailed report on how the research was conducted (providing information on how resources and materials were selected, how such materials contributed to research, how they were used, research methodology employed, limitations, the preparation and authoring of the article etc.).
The researchers shall be required to pen a scientific article for publication in the peer-reviewed articles section in the Journal of Ankara Studies, or a work to be published by VEKAM Publications, as a leading output of the research.
The projects which were awarded Koç University-VEKAM Research Award in 2017
Nahide Işık Demirakın, Necibe Işıl Demirakın, Bülent Arel’in Ankara Yılları (1940-1965): Başkentin Kültürel Dönüşümü
Aylin Atacan, Bir Sinema Seti Olarak Ankara; 'Ankara Filmleri' Üzerinden Kentin Mimarlık Tarihini Okumak
Çiler Buket Tosun, Kültürel Mirasımız Ankara Yapı Usta Okulu
Özgün Özçakır, Politika'dan Uygulamaya Hacı Bayram Meydanı'nın Değiştirilen Kültürel Miras Değerleri
Azize Elif Yabacı, A Study On the Development of A District and a University Campus With an Ongoing Interaction: Cebeci and Ankara University Campus
Funda Uz, Alüminyum ile Tasarlamak: Ankara Mimarlığında 70'lerden Bugüne Alüminyum
The projects which were awarded Koç University-VEKAM Research Award in 2016
Mustafa Haluk Zelef, Ankara'nın Mimari Belleğine Bir Katkı: Jack Nesim Aggiman ve Elçilik Yapıları
Özgür Ceren Erişti, Ankara'da Kamusal Alanlardaki Seramik Duvar Panoları
Temuçin Faik Ertan, Bahattin Demirtaş, Türkiye'yi Ziyaret Eden Yabancı Devlet Adamlarının Ankara Günleri (1923-1960)
Çiğdem Varol Özden, N. Aydan Sat, S. Bahar Yenigül, Aslı Gürel Üçer, Başkentin Meydanı Kızılay: Sosyal, Ekonomik ve Mekansal Dönüşümüne Tarihsel Bakış
Arda Can Özsu, Öncü Özsu, Özsu Evi: Hamamönü'nün Sosyo Kültürel Tarihi Üzerine Bir Deneme
Zeliha Yiğit, İbrahim Yavuz Yükselsin, Ankara Oyun Havalarında Süreklilik ve Değişim: Yeni Angara Müziği
The projects which were awarded Koç University-VEKAM Library and Archive Research Award in 2016
Aslıhan Günhan, Cornell University, From Hygenic Bodies to Destructive Bodies: A Study on the Performative Assemblies at The Station Square in Ankara
Çağlar Dölek, Ortadoğu Teknik Üniversitesi, Yoksul Mahallelerde Asayiş Polisliğinin Tarihsel Kurulumu: Altındağ Çinçin Bağları Örneği
Hakan Kaynar, Hacettepe Üniversitesi, Çöpteki Tarih: Musiki Muallim Mektebi’nden Konservatuvara
The projects which were awarded Koç University-VEKAM Research Award in 2015
Özlem Karakul, Documentation of Expertise, Skills, and Behaviors of Traditional Master Builders, Ankara and its Surroundings
İdil Bilgin Sait, Object-Based Children's Activity Book on Cultural Heritage Preservation
Umut Şumnu, Documentation of the Lottery Houses Process and Lottery Houses Developed in Ankara by Various Banks
Necati Tonga, Ankara as an Eternal Neighborhood in the Republican Era
İhsan Seddar Kaynar, From Engürü to Ankara: Economic Transformation of Ankara in the Period 1892-1962